A coal mine in the Bowen Basin has a requirement to haul product coal from its coal handling preparation plan (CHPP) to the trainload outstation. This service had been under a long-term contract and expiring shortly, so the mine recognised it should test the market for the potential of improved rates, service level, and new cost reduction ideas. The client was open to exploring options of increased payloads/truck configurations that can assist with reducing the total cost of ownership (TCO) for the delivery of additional volume.
The mine also recognised that it did not have the in-house capability or capacity to manage this complex, strategic tender.
To manage the complete sourcing process, which included:
- An initial workshop to define the mine’ coal haul requirements.
- Develop the sourcing strategy and presentation for senior management approval.
- Manage the tender process, including the lead in all Tenderer negotiations.
- Develop the award recommendation for senior management approval.
- Develop and major services contracts, and to implement the contract at the site.
Caliba delivered the following outcome for the client:
- Total cost reduction during the first year of contracts of 8%.
- Coal haulage services scope under the mine’s terms & conditions of the contract.
- Competitive market rates for the service.
- Supplier committing to investment in higher payload configuration.
- Access to leading safety and fatigue management technology to improve the safety of haulage services.